Friday, February 4, 2011

SSRJ #2: Oates

Youth is a funny thing. We never really realize how young we are in the moment. Our actions, our thoughts, our desires, at the time we rarely think of ourselves as immature or silly. Reflection however, is a different story. We can look back on our lives and easily see things for what they really were. We can categorize our actions, understand our mistakes and recognize turning points in our lives that may not have been obvious before. In Joyce Carol Oates’s “Three Girls,” reflection on events of the past is what really propels the story. Throughout the story the narrator reflects on an experience that she and a friend had at a used bookstore when they were college students. Through reflecting on her life the narrator really captures the feeling of being a college student.  The narrator strongly identifies herself with being a student and a poet, it is what defined her. Being a college student myself, I found it easy to relate to this form of identification. When you are a full-time student in college it truly does become part of your identity.
The most prominent literary element used in the story is definitely suspense. Throughout the story, the reader is on the edge of their seat wondering what will happen next. Reading this story the first time you would say that the suspense is found in the situation with Marilyn Monroe, through it so many questions are raised. Why is she, Marilyn Monroe, shopping at a used bookstore? Will she be discovered by the other customers in the store? Will she notice the two girls watching her? The suspense finally ends when the narrator purchases Marilyn Monroe’s books for her and the actress leaves the store unnoticed by anyone except the two girls who protected her secret. At the very last sentence of the story another suspenseful situation is made clear. The two girls who appeared to be friends turn out to be something more than that. It is difficult to pick up on the sexual tension between the two girls throughout the story because it is hidden under the suspense of Marilyn Monroe. However, reading it a second time it is easy to see the true meaning behind comments and descriptions that the narrator made. Once you know what to look for, the narrator’s feelings for her friend are obvious.
One thing that I found particularly interesting about this story was the way that it was told. At first it seemed to me like a something out of a journal or diary. As I read on I noticed that the narrator repeatedly referred to her friend as “you.”  To me this gave the impression that the story was a letter to the narrator’s friend. What was the purpose of this? Was it a letter to her friend or was the story told solely for the narrator’s benefit? What do you think happened to the girls after that evening at the used bookstore that would cause the narrator to write such a letter?

3 comments:

  1. First, I just want to comment on your beautiful writing! I feel like this is effortless for you, so bravo!

    Second, everything you wrote is exactly how I felt when I read this story. I chose to write about "Three Girls" as well and the suspense that Oates used, with the Monroe situation and the romance between the two friends. Also, I mentioned that it felt like reading from a diary but I really like your idea of a letter. I feel that the girls remained together and this story is simply to remind her lady friend about the way their romance began. Very insightful post :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above. Very well written and summarized post. To answer your question above, I view that the narrator was compelled to write such a letter so that the people she is addressing can also relate to such experiences and give insight to personally who she is. As for the girls, I think that they stuck together, as their bond in this story remained tight! This story is probably a way for her to remember the simplicity and randomness of romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your thoughts on Oates' use of suspense. Not only involving the identity of Marilyn Monroe but also in the undertone of the love story. You raise some very intresting questions about what the author's purpose for the story really was and what could have happened later on after the girls shared the experience.
    I picked up on the "crush on her friend" thing almost right away but it was not until I thought more about the story when I began to see another possible meaning. I believe Oates' may have intended it to be something of an inspiration to other young females willing to go against the public opinions of that era. She confesses a slight irritation with what she refers to as conventional women which I think is a shot at the women of her time that were willing to accept a subordinate role to educated men or men in general. Additionally, the fact that she uses Marilyn Monroe and not someone less historically known as a sex symbol seems so indicate that she is trying to prove to the reader that you can be pretty and smart, you don't have to choose between the two. I could be wrong but I really felt the story was more of a call to arms to any woman feeling opressed due to the restrictions placed on women of that time. Great writing though, I had not even begun to think about what might have happened after Marilyn left, wow!

    ReplyDelete